There is nothing more we care about than enhancing eco-tourism in Indonesia. Being in the centre of the Coral Triangle – we get to experience firsthand how fragile the biodiversity of our oceans can be and how important it is to take care of it.
Raja Ampat is the literal crossroads for the Indian and Pacific Ocean species. It has the highest concentration and diversity of marine life on earth, as well as the greatest coral reef biodiversity for its size in the world.
Powerful ocean currents carry larvae from Raja Ampat to reefs in other parts of Indonesia and the Pacific, making Raja Ampat the heart of the “supply chain” of species. This transport may help to replenish other reefs which have been damaged by disease, bleaching, overfishing, and other detrimental activities
The global impact of the coronavirus epidemic has stimulated some deep reflections, hard questions and stark realities of the world we live in. Anchoring yourself at a resort instead of a liveaboard has become more popular. It has become even more important than ever to ensure your dive resort supports education, communication and conservation within the local community and serve to promote the area – instead of tarnishing the environment and the people alongside with it.
We have been driving conservation initiatives since our inception in 2017 but can now formally be recognised as a PADI Greenstar Member, encouraging universal participation and business practices around the globe.
A good thing to look out for when choosing your dive resort is the extent of their efforts towards enhancing the community, as well as the ocean.
Meridian Adventure Dive has always been focused, being situated in the Coral Triangle of the world (which boasts the nursery for the Great Barrier reef), on eco-conscious practices. This term gets thrown around a lot, but here are the focus points that make our resort a cut above the rest when it comes to eco-tourism.
What are we doing about Water?
- Greywater and black water treatment plant – On-site STP that uses natural bacteria to systematically break down waste to a safe and balanced PH level before being released.
- Daily inspections of pipes and water system for leaks to ensure no wastage
- Faucet aerators are implemented
- Toilets have full/reduced flush options
- Stormwater and borehole collection and filtration for use in the hotel. Water treatment plant does not use any chemicals to treat water used in the hotel but rather carbon and sand filters to treat collected water. A vulcanising system is also used to further treat the water.
What are we doing about Energy use?
- LED lighting
- LED pool lights
- Insulated ceiling & ducts
- Phantom power conservation
- Solar heating
- AC unit maintenance
- Rechargeable batteries used
- Energy Star appliances
- Energy Reduction plans
What are we doing about Transportation (dive boats)?
- Low emission tender engines
- Regularly scheduled maintenance
- No antifouling paint on boats
- Phosphate-free biodegradable cleaning products
- No use of anchors at dive sites
What are we doing about Waste Management?
- Use of reusable bottles
- Use of reusable bags
- Double-sided printing set on printers
- Paperless faxing
- eNewsletter vs mailed
- Email communication vs paper
- Paperless document storage
- Wetsuit recycling
- Light pollution reduction
- HVAC permanent filters
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Pollutant/tobacco smoke control
- Green cleaning/maintenance policy
What are we doing about Green Practices & Materials?
- Bio- safe cleaners/sustainable cleaning products used
- Local and sustainable food purchases
- Materials/Equipment ordering online
- Environmental pest management
- No Chemicals/Fertilizer used in the garden
- Eco-friendly furniture
What are our Conservation efforts?
- Project AWARE (PADI) events and activities
- Display of environmental awareness materials
- Environmental data collection contribution
- Active support of conservation legislation/management within the area
We continue to try and find ways to enhance our eco operations at the resort and adding value to the community and environment that surrounds us.